Frequently Asked Questions

We understand you might have some questions relating to your Council Insurance. That’s why we have answered the most frequently asked questions (FAQ) below to help you along the way. If you still cannot find what you are looking for, please contact us directly.

General enquiries

I need help – who do I contact if I have questions?

You can contact our BHIB Councils Insurance team on 0330 013 0036 or get in touch via our contact us page.

What are your opening hours?

Monday to Thursday - 9AM to 5:15PM
Friday - 9AM to 5PM
*Subject to bank holidays

If I have forgotten my customer portal login password, what should I do?

Please click here to send a reminder to yourself via email. Alternatively, you can click ‘Forgotten your password?’ on the Login page.

I need written confirmation of my insurance policy – where do I get this?

Our documents are designed to be delivered by PDF, however if you wish to receive your documents by post then please let a member of our team know by emailing or call us on 0330 013 0036.

About your insurance policy

Do I have to inform you of each time the Council obtains new equipment or contents?

As long as the total value of your assets is within your policy amount then there is no need to contact us. If, however, you need to increase your limits then please contact us on 0330 013 0036 and we will be happy to make the required changes to your policy.

Do I have to sign up for 3 years?

There is no obligation to take cover for more than 12 months but a 3-year deal entitles you to a discount.

Subject to claims, your insurer will not increase the premium rate during the period other than to apply index-linking of the sums insured or adjustments requested by you (for example, Insurance Premium Tax).

We’ve acquired a new area of land (either owned or leased) – are we covered and do we have to advise you of this?

Any area of land which you own or are responsible for the maintenance of would be covered within the limitations of this policy. If you feel that the area of land would pose a higher risk, then please call us on 0330 013 0036.

How does this policy affect gritting/salting our roads?

If you take on the responsibility of gritting/salting then this must be maintained, with a system of checking in place to ensure that it is carried out in order to minimise the risk of being negligent for omitting to salt. These checks must be logged and recorded.

There are no issues with regards to you providing grit bins for public use so long as they are only filled with grit/salt provided by the District Council. In addition, Local Councils should only apply grit/salt to roads that fall within their jurisdiction and refrain from taking on additional roads/property.

We own an allotment site, are we covered?

We can confirm that your insurer, Aviva, will cover the Council if you are solely responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the allotments.

We are using a marquee for our event, are we covered?

Tents and marquees can be covered by the insurers. However, we would request that you contact our team on 0330 013 0036 to ensure that the correct level of cover is in place for your event.

In what way are volunteers covered?

If volunteers are acting under the instructions of the Parish Council then they are covered under the Public Liability section of the policy, in regards to damage to property or injury to third parties.

However, Councils must have Employers Liability insurance and although there is no duty to insure volunteers, it is desirable to do so.

Public liability is not mandatory but highly recommended as it can insure your Council against a claim made by a volunteer or the actions of a volunteer.

Appropriate health & safety equipment and guidelines should be provided to minimise the risk of an incident.

Our assets and/or circumstances have changed. What do we do?

If you need to amend your cover limits, simply notify us as soon as possible.

Mid-term changes to the policy can be made instantly, but in some cases an additional premium may be due.

Please do let us know straight away if you change your correspondence address or other contact details, and of course if you acquire any buildings or other significant property, at any time. If circumstances have changed in any other way, and you are unsure as to whether or not this might affect your insurance coverage, please get in touch and we’ll provide you with our best advice.

About the quote process

How do I get a quote?

You can either fill out a short form on our Request a Quote page, and we will contact you for more information, or you can call us on 0330 013 0036 and we will take you through the quote process and offer advice each step of the way.

What happens to my personal information?

If you choose to purchase your policy with us, we will keep the information needed to log-into the customer portal area.

We do not store any payment details. We share information with our third-party finance providers for the purposes of payment only.

Further information can be found in our privacy policy

Will I be placed on a marketing mailing list?

If you want to subscribe to our marketing communications, you will be asked this as part of registering.

If you do not want to be placed on the marketing list, simply tick the box to say you do not want to. If you do subscribe and change your mind later, simply click on the 'unsubscribe' link on the email containing our marketing communication.

We do not pass on your email address to third parties.

Further information can be found in our privacy policy

Paying for your policy

How do I buy a policy?

Simply confirm over the phone or via email that you are happy to go ahead and then tell us how you would like to pay. Once payment has been made, we will send your confirmed insurance documents to you. You can also find these online in the customer portal area.

Which payment methods can I use?

We accept the following methods of payment:

  • BACS Payments
  • Cheque
  • Credit & Debit Cards

How do I know that my payment has been confirmed?

If your payment was successful, you will receive an email with your insurance documentation attached. In the event you have not received confirmation by email, please firstly check your 'junk mail', otherwise call us on 0330 013 0036.

Managing your policy

How do I access my insurance documents?

Simply log in to the customer portal area. You can find this in the top right of the website screen or click here to be directed to the page.

How do I get copies of my insurance documents?

Once you have logged on to the customer portal area, select ‘Documents’ then click on the documents you wish to download. All documents are printable PDFs.

How do I see the details of my insurance documents?

Once you have logged on to the customer portal area, select ‘Details’ of the policy you wish to view.

How do I update my contact details or other personal details?

Send an email to or call us on 0330 013 0036 and we will update these for you.

I’ve changed my bank details. What do I do?

Please call us on 0330 013 0036 and we will update these for you

Do you charge fees for changing details to my policy?

We do not charge any fees for adjustments to your policy.

Renewing your policy

How do I know when my renewal is due and what should I do?

We will alert you at least four weeks before your renewal date to start the process.

You can view your renewal date in the ‘Details’ section of the customer portal area.

Can I confirm renewal without payment?

We do require settlement by the renewal date but we understand that this is not always possible for Local Councils to adhere to. Therefore, we can hold cover for you subject to you providing us with your renewal instructions prior to your renewal date and us receiving the payment in full within 21 days of renewal. You can provide instructions by phone or email.

Cancelling your policy

How do I cancel my policy?

You can cancel your policy by calling us on 0330 013 0036.

If I cancel and am eligible for a refund, how soon will I receive this?

Refunds will usually be made within 90 days of the cancellation. Depending on your method of payment to us, we will process refunds either directly to your credit/debit card, or bank account, or by cheque.

Making a claim

I need to make a claim. What do I do?

You can either visit our Make A Claim page for information on who to call and the details you need at hand. Alternatively, you can call us on 0330 013 0036.

When can I make a claim?

Our claims teams operate 24/7 so you can call anytime to discuss your claim.

How long will my claim take to process?

Each claim is unique and may involve a degree of further investigation or assessment before settlement can be made.

If I make a claim, will it affect my renewal?

This can depend on a number of factors, including:

  • The type of claim
  • The frequency of claims
  • The value of claims settlements

Each policy is underwritten on it’s own merits, however, the potential impact of a claim could result in a premium increase, additional terms/restrictions and in extreme circumstances, cover could be withdrawn completely.

Making a complaint

Who should I contact if I have a complaint?

We value your feedback and pride ourselves on our customer service so if you feel something is not right, we would like to hear about it.

Please contact us using one of the following ways:

We will acknowledge your complaint within 5 working days and advise you who will be dealing with your complaint.

Want to talk to us?

We are on hand to provide assistance and guidance, and our dedicated team would love to hear from you.

Request a Quote

0330 013 0036

BHIB Councils Insurance is a trading name of BHIB Limited. Registered office is AGM House, 3 Barton Close, Grove Park, Enderby, Leicester, LE19 1SJ. BHIB Limited is registered in England and Wales number: 829660 Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. We are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service. You can find out more at BHIB Limited also provide risk management services and guidance which is not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Any protection provided by the Financial Ombudsman Service or the Financial Services Compensation Scheme does not apply to this specific business activity and we will inform you of this before undertaking the business activity